Friday, April 09, 2010

Running and Trains

When I was in highschool, I used to be so good in athletics. I would run barefoot during Intramurals and my favorites were the 200m and 400m dash because it gave me momentum and I know I can out-ran anyone with this distance (more difficult with 100M because the runway is too short for me).

Yesterday and today, I did a lot of running and it involves catching the train. From our house to the station, with only 8 mins left before the train comes, I ran like crazy coz I still have to buy tickets for my parents and in-law (they too were running and speed walking, hahaha). We wanted to catch the 8:38 am train to Blacktown, otherwise, we'll be waiting half an hour for the next train to come. In the afternoon, after my 2pm appointment with the doctor, I ran again to the station hoping to catch the train back to Blacktown. I barely made it.

This morning, my limbs were stretched even further. As I was getting ready to get off at Platform 4 in Strathfield for my connecting train at Platform 5, I noticed that the train was running in a different track. Thinking ahead, if the train will not stop at Platform 4, I had to run because I need to get to the other platform and I am far away from the exit door. With only 2 minutes interval, this would be a run-for-your-life kind of run. And so I did... but the other train was late for 4 minutes. And this meant I need to ran (for the last time) to catch my other train at Epping. And I did again, and this time, the train was just arriving and when I got inside, it was already closing its doors. Too bad for the other commuters who did not run (or did not stay close to the exit doors in the Strathfield train) because they will be late for work.

All these running for the train are like accidents waiting to happen. I need to be careful next time and try not to beat the time. Or maybe, I should do my driving lessons more frequently so I can take the road test soon and drive to work. Hmmm, but what about my exercise? All the calories I burned from taking the stairs instead of the lift? Nah, I wont exchange that for the comfort of driving (and spending too much on toll fee). I will still take the train, and continue running and walking the stairs but in the odd occasions, I will treat myself to a lift. =)

No comments: