Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My New Toy

Eversince I've booked our US holidays, I've been meaning to buy myself a point and shoot camera because my SLR is just too bulky to bring around. Agie agreed to me buying it because I told him that I will use my Amex points to pay off the camera.

I'm really partial to Canon (mainly because that's the brand of my SLR which I still dont know how to use, haha) so I just shopped around for a good deal. I went to Dick Smith in Chatswood in early November but the sales assistant told me to come back in 3 weeks time because prices will be slashed by then to get rid of their stocks as they are moving to a new location. This will also work in my favor because I can claim the GST paid if I show it to Customs when I travel to the US in December. The only requirement for GST refund is that receipt amount should be at least $300 and the purchase date is no later than 30 days before travel date.

Fast forward to the third week.
I went to Dick Smith yesterday, excited to buy the camera (the ticket price in November was $357, down from $396) and hoping for a good discount. When I went to the camera sections, the stand is absolutely empty!!! I asked the sales assistant where all the Powershot went and he said they have already moved it to their new store which is opening in 3 weeks time! Hmm, not good. I went to their smaller store in Westfield and found the same camera now priced at $377.
:(

It's just too expensive for me, considering I need to buy a camera pouch and a spare SD card so I went to JB Hifi to see if they have better prices than Dick Smith. I saw the camera I was after and it was marked down to $345! Not bad considering I was ready to spend $350 for it. Then i looked for a pouch and found one for $25. I told the sales assistant if she can give me a deal if I buy the camera and the pouch together. She did some calculations and told me she can give the camera for $321 but no discount on the pouch. I didn't think twice and bought the camera then and there. The camera would've cost $396 but with the discount and the GST refund (around $32), it now only cost me $289 and if I'll deduct the cost of the Travel Photography book that comes with the camera, the final price would go down to $255. Not bad hey? My AMEX points can very much cover my camera puchase. hehehe.

I had a post-birthday dinner with Perla today and of course we tested my new Powershot 120IS. Aren't we gorgeous???








I can't wait to document our US trip. :-)

1 comment:

Pam said...

awwww!! ingget ako!! hehehe gusto ko rin bumili ng point and shoot. hirap na dalhin ng slr hehe