Saturday, January 27, 2007

Sydney - my new home


I arrived in Sydney last Jan 12, i travelled alone, and since its a Friday work day, no one is available to pick me up. Together with my 40K bag, my 8 kg pink carry-on bag, laptop in a back pack and shoulder bag, i went to the City alone, via the airport link (train) and thankfully arrived in one piece.

I left my things at my friends ofc and went around the City while waiting for my other friend to finish her work. I will be "squatting"in her room until I find a place, or until we find a place near her workplace.

It was a tiring but fruitful first weekend in my future home.

Come Monday, I had an interview with my agent, because of an urgent requirement in one their clients, I got offered a job in less than 4 hours. I accepted the offer just to get the local experience. I am giving myself a month or two in the job before considering other options. I am one lucky girl since I didn't have any difficulty finding a job. Its more difficult to look for a house here!

And speaking of house, C (and I) live in Ashfield, west of Sydney but works in the North Shore. We had to travel an hour to and from work, and during rush hour, we had to endure the crowded train. We decided to look for a house last weekend and spent the entire Saturday walking around North Shore, viewing units for lease. Over the week, my new pastime was to check domain.com.au and realestate.com to see if there are new units posted for lease. Just today, Saturday, there were a number of open houses listed in the Net but when we get there almost all our choices were taken and leased out.

We walked around the area, heat and all, but was not lucky to get a good unit. Finding a house here in Sydney is more difficult than finding a job!!!

My former office mates were telling me that I would memorize every inch of Sydney in no time at all but sad to say, i can't still go around without a map at hand. I wasnt able to be a "tourist" in Sydney since I need to report for work on my 3rd day here (not counting the weekend).

During Oz day (jan 26), I met my 2 friends in the City and they toured me to St. Mary's Cathedral (i will hear mass there one Sunday this Feb), watched the Automobile exhibit and went inside the Musem (i forgot what Museum it was and the only reason we went in was that they waived the fee for the day in celebration of the Oz day). I told my friends that I have no decent picture of Sydney yet so we decided to go to Botanic Gardens and looked for Mrs Maquaries Chair (where the view of Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge is stunning). And i got my first Sydney pix here!!!

To celebrate Oz day, we went back to Ashfield, had Pizza, chix and Salad along with the ever famous Magic SIng. I even sang Annie Batungbakal, ieeeewwww...

So far, that's the summary of what my 2 weeks in Oz had been. I would be writing more as soon as I am settled in my new home, and all my clothes are shipped here. I just realized that I only had 2 weeks worth of clothes and need some badly. I need to ask Yen to buy me all the new blouses (short sleeved and long sleeved) in Meg for Agers to include in my shipment.

Shopping list coming soon,hehehe.

Missing someone so bad today. :-(

No comments: