Wednesday, August 22, 2012

August is breastfeeding month

When I was still pregnant with Abie, I vowed to exclusively breastfed her. Not only is it cheaper but also the benefits are enormous.

Fast forward to the day I had her --- I successfully breastfed her at the hospital but I found that she was not latching properly as my nipple is quiet sore.

When I got home, it became very raw that my midwife advised me to express my milk to give my boobies a chance to heal. Also, she suggested that I use a nipple shield until my breast are better. I have a good supply, leaking at times so I did as suggested and used a nipple shield. Well, it actually resulted to lowering my supply (without me realizing it).

For the first two months, I exclusively breastfed Abie but she seems insatiable. There are nights that she is crying even after nursing, I attributed it to witching hour. Everytime I hold her, she will automatically go for my breast and wants to be fed! Agie suggested we supplement but I was adamant, I want to succeed in this!

I've been in and out of the medical centre weighing Abie but at her two months check, she didn't gain any weight (she had a very good weight gain for the first two weeks). She also don't have enough wet diaper that I am concerned she might get dehydrated. I called the ABA (Australian Breastfeeding Association) help line and also had a lactation consultant came over to help me with my supply issues. I did 'babymoon', I nursed non stop for an entire afternoon, pumped after feeding but it seems Abie is still  not getting enough.

Around May, after seeing a pediatrician, I decided to supplement. And after a few days, my baby is not crying as much. OMG! My baby was hungry all the time!!! She only takes two or three ounces at a time, and then will look for my boobies, well at least she still prefers me over formula (at her age, she should be taking 6 oz).


Abie is almost six months and still being mixed feed. Its easier at night because I don't have to get up to prepare milk for her. Because we're co-sleeping (her crib is beside our bed with one side removed so it looks like an extension), whenever I see her rooting for my boobies while sleeping, I would just move to her side and nurse her. Win-win situation for us!

I will continue to breastfeed as long as likes. And they are correct, it did get easier.

For future reference, here are resources I always checked when I was up at night feeding my baby:

La Leche League
Baby Centre Birth Club
Kellymom
Australian Breastfeeding Association




No comments: