Saturday, September 03, 2011

Never ending blessings

I claim 2011 to be my year and I can't thank Him enough for all these blessings. We're still two thirds in the year but I felt my bucket list were all ticked off (well almost).

I had my CPA ceremony in April.

Found at that I was pregnant in July.

Hubby got a new job near my workplace in August.

and, as an icing to the cake, I got promoted in September!

I have been whining about my work (or the lack thereof) for a quite a while now. Friends are envious that I am not busy and can go home at 4:30 everyday. But sometimes, the lack of work is making my brain stagnant. To compensate, I used to read my CPA materials during work hours. After finishing the program last December, there was nothing for me to study at the office anymore and the boredom returned.

Middle of last year, our Department was made into a shared services of the entire GROUP  - this meant we are now doing the back office not only of the Bread Division (our current division) but also Milling, Cereal, Information System and more are in the pipeline. With the move, our financial accountant was promoted to Manager but all eight of us assistant accountants were not given any change in title despite the fact that most of us are doing more than an assistant acccountant job. (Title is very much important here in Oz specially when you want to find a new job).

Then, in December, they announced an opening for FA in our IS Department. Naturally, I applied as I know I am more than capable of doing the job. You see, during this time as well, they asked me to take on the role of Corporate Accountant (on top of my asset accounting without any jobtitle change and payrise!). But of course they did not promote me to the IS role and hired someone from outside to do the job. This really pissed me off.

I've decided then to look for a new job. So in March this year, I was busy talking with agents for a possible role. After reviewing my resume, they told me they would change my title to Financial Accountant because that is basically what I am doing. I asked them if this is okay, it looks like I am lying in my resume, but they told me what I am doing is more important than the title and they will explain it to the client once they placed me. But I also told them that I am more interested in the Western Sydney area because it would be easier for me to work close to home. But jobs that I like are few and far between...

Then I got pregnant.

I have to stay in my current job because we have two months maternity leave benefit. The plan was to take a year off from work and then in the middle of my leave, I will look for anither job and will not return to the Bread Co. Sounds like a good plan right?

Last monht, we had our year end performance evaluation. We already knew that because of business performance, we are not to receive any bonus nor increase for this financial year. Bit of a bummer really because I know I made a very good contribution to the team but what's making me stay was the added knowledge that I am getting each day --- Corporate Accounting, Fixed Assets Accounting, budget and forecast etc. These are essential to my resume and linkedIn profile. =) So when I had my review, I was not really expecting anything but in the middle of it, my boss was discussing employee management as part of my objective for next year. And then she told me that they had a review of my job, a review of the current structure of the team and made some changes. The changes are not yet final but they said I would get my new position description come 1st of September. Also, my maternity leave arrangements were discussed so they would know how long I would be off from work. Hmmmm, very interesting!

The next day, an announcement in the people portal was made for a Group Accountant opening --- the current Group Accountant is moving to the other division and they are hiring for his replacement. This could have been the perfect role for me as I am doing half of his job now. But with my pregnancy, I couldn't apply because this meant I will have to train someone to do my Corporate Accounting work and then be trained for the Group Accountant role, then after three months go on maternity leave. It's not right and I do not need the stress of learning more at this time. So I decided not to apply and just wait for the confidential discussion to take effect. I think my Boss knew about the opening so she told me a day ahead her plans for me so I dont end up applying for that other job.

Then, on the 1st of September, I got my papers --- Management Accountant for Shared Services! Wohoo!!! And the payrise was good too, double wohoo!!! The new challenge (which was not announced yet) was the people management bit of it. I thought I would not be doing performance reviews here in Oz, I thought I would just be a receiver of the review but hey, I welcome the challenge. The people handpicked to be in my team were those who ask me how to do their work everyday anyway so not much of a change there really. And because I am in the team longer than most of them, I already earned my position so to speak.

As to when the announcement would be, I do not know. As long as my pay is adjusted this month, I am happy. Me and my growing baby need the additional money for our future needs. =)

Thank you once again God, all in Your perfect time. Thanks for giving me the patience --- the pieces of the puzzle fit perfectly. Please continue to guide and protect me and my baby. I cannot wait for this precious little gift to finally be born to this world.

I am forever grateful.


2 comments:

Tuttie said...

Oh my God, gracy! so many blessings! congratulations on the promotion..i know you deserve it..finally, you've been given the break. what a blessing indeed!

Ckayen said...

you are so blessed! Praises to Him!